Homeowner Information

There are two main funding streams for hazard mitigation:

Flooded Neighborhood

Post Disaster

Following a Presidential disaster declaration, your State Hazard Mitigation Office will decide what forms of hazard mitigation will be utilized with the appropriated mitigation funding from FEMA. It is important that you communicate with your local government flood plain manager that you want to elevate/relocate your structure and receive funding as part of the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). DO NOT DELAY. TIME TO SIGN UP IS LIMITED!

Homeowners that have flood insurance can use a onetime fund from the insurance to match their hazard mitigation elevation grant. This type of coverage is called Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) as it refers to the home being in compliance with minimum flood plain elevation requirements after the elevation. The $30,000 can only be accessed by the homeowner after an elevation certificate is completed for the home and a building permit is issued for the elevation project.

Repetitive Flood Claims

The Federal Government annually appropriates tens of millions of dollars to hazard mitigate homes that have been repetitively flooded and are insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Your local government flood plain manager in cooperation with the State Hazard Mitigation Office can apply for different hazard mitigation grants annually.

If your home has multiple claims through NFIP, you may be eligible for the following programs:

1.       Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL)A SRL property is defined as a residential property that is covered under NFIP flood insurance policy and:

(a)    That at least four NFIP claim payments (including building and contents) over $5,000 each, and the cumulative amount of such claims payments exceeds $5,000 each, and the cumulative amount of sch claims payments exceeds $20,000; or

(b)   For which at least two separate claims payments (building payments only) have been made with the cumulative amount of the building portion of such claims exceeding the market value of the building.

For both (a) and (b) above, at least two of the referenced claims must have occurred within any ten-year period, and must be greater than 10 days apart.

Federal/Non-Federal cost share:  75/25%.

2.       Repetitive Flood Claims (RFC)grants are available to communities that prove they cannot get grants under Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA). Insured properties are eligible if they have had one or more NFIP claims.

3.       Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)Structures with two or more losses each with a claim of at least $1,000 within a ten-year period since 1978. Grants must meet Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidelines.

If you have more questions about this process, contact us and we will be happy to assist you further:

Please select a valid form